To this point I’ve touched on the subject of Forum Profiles and Signatures as a great way to build backlinks to your new blog. (Over 200 for here now!)
Since I moderate on several Forums I thought it might be a good idea to post about proper Forum behaviour. If you go into a Forum with links a-blazin’ chances are you’re going to find yourself infracted, or worse, banned from the Forum altogether.
Each Forum will have their own set of rules but here are a few things that might help keep you out of hot water:
- Finding the Rules: Most welcome emails from joining a new forum will usually contain a link to the Rules. Look for it, read and understand them. Sticky posts in the topic listing is another place to look. There’s nothing worse than spending months building up post counts just to find yourself banned for a simple link drop.
- The Signature itself: Some Forums simply do not allow links in Signatures. Others will have restrictions or posting requirements before you’re allowed to have live links appearing. Be sure to check any rules before doing this.
- Posting: Your Signature links will do nothing unless you get involved in the Forum Community. Adding replies to threads, or creating your own threads can see mention of your site appear in Google within several minutes of posting. (Depending on the popularity of the Forum) Don’t throw your link into every post. Your signature will take care of that.
- Be polite: Just because the person you’re talking to can’t punch you in the face doesn’t mean you can be rude. Remember, these people are a community. They don’t take kindly to someone new mouthing off to their friends.
- Don’t tick off the Moderators: More of a personal request than a useful tip.
I’ve been involved in Forums to one degree or another for many years. Not only are they a great place to meet people with similar interests, but they also contain a community of knowledgeable people who can help with even the most perplexing problem.
Don’t overlook this valuable resource!