Taken 26-December-2013 – Click for full picture
Why do I now embrace winter? Well, first off I really have no choice unless I want to hide from it until spring. For the most part this is what I’ve done in previous years. Hell, there was entire winters where I never even opened the the window blinds in my apartment. In fact, until recently I always lived in the same building where I worked so my exposure to this weather was very limited.
Granted, walking around in deep snow can be exhausting, but it’s an extreme workout for the legs if deep enough. (Note to self: get Snowshoes!)
Putting health and fitness aside for a moment, you simply cannot deny the absolute beauty of a world covered in a fresh snowfall. The above is only one picture from the 244 I took that day. I spent 6 hours out there and simply could not stop snapping shots.
How could I hide from something like this? Fresh air, exercise, and absolute beauty! Man, I was so stupid for so long. It’s nice to finally be active and awake!
I have made several new life choices in the past month or so and one of the most enjoyable is my early morning walk. Regardless of weather, I make sure I get out and get some blood flowing before thinking about what the day is about to throw at me.
Below is a quick point form of my morning routine…
- Wake up – Always happy about this one!
- Drink a litre of water – I do this over a 20-30 minute period. Chugging can make you nauseous.
- Go for a 20-30 minute brisk walk – Not only does this wake you up (especially in winter) it gets the bodily fluids moving and doing the job their supposed to do. With winter temperatures and elevated heart rate, this activity also acts as a Natural Decongestant. Next thing you know you’re sniffing and spitting all that congestion that built up over night. By the time I get home, I’m thinking and breathing clearly. Nothing better!
- Drink more water – Generally I have it mixed with some lime and Chaga (more on Chaga later – for now, Google it!)
- Breakfast – Fruit. Period. Apples, oranges, melon, berries… whatever. Sometimes rolled oats makes it’s way into the menu also.
- Get happy! – What ever it takes… DO IT! There is nothing worse than dreading the day ahead. I spent too much of my life doing that.
This routine is still pretty new to me, but doing it makes me feel fantastic! I need to keep at it!
Last September I was out for a walk on our town trails when I can across a bug who had flipped over onto it’s back and could not right itself. He was a few inches away from a crushed snail body that had been crushed by a bike or other vehicle (most likely). This little guy was heading for the same fate.
I simply could not carry on without helping him out. I grabbed a stick and allowed him to grab onto it so we could get him on his way. After snapping the second picture above, I picked up both stick and bug and deposited them well into the grassed area. This likely took a couple minutes out of my day.
So, if you are wondering what kind of person I have become at this point in my life – THAT – RIGHT THERE is the kind of person I am. Period.
I was out on my afternoon walk today and came across an all-to-common sight – a discarded cup from Tim Hortons littering our trails. There have been days where I have filled my side-pack with these things in order to get them to recycling bins where they belong. The above cup ended up in a public trash can in this case as I didn’t bring any bags to properly bring it home to the recycling bin.
I should point out the trash can was a mere 3 minute walk from where I found the cup.
I would love to point my finger at Tim Hortons, but that’s not realistic. In fact, Tim Hortons funds spring trash clean-ups across the country each year. However, is a couple weeks a year enough to combat this epidemic of trash thrown in their name? Probably not, but it is up TO THE REST OF US to keep up where they (and the volunteers) leave off.
Today was only one cup. Just wait until all this snow melts to reveal a sea of trash. Ugg
The Old Site Header – Modified
It’s been almost 4 years since making any updates to this web site. My passion for web development has waned and I no longer find passion or interest in doing it. In fact, I find technology in general to be more restraining than liberating.
The past few years has seen more and more of my time being spent in the great outdoors either hiking or bicycling. This has inspired me to convert this blog from being tech oriented to something more Nature and Life focused.
More posts to follow. Be sure to join me on twitter @Torn_Elements.