I’ve been using this Stats Plugin for over a year now on another blog. I love it! It’s the very first Plugin I installed here. 🙂
There’s nothing like real time when it comes to stats and FireStats delivers. Why wait for your web server to process the logs? See how busy your blog is NOW.
FireStats has just entered RC4 of their new 1.6 version. Here are a few features this version delivers:
- Performance improvements
- Hits table pagination (Finally!!)
- RSS Subscription tracking (Available to donators only)
- Some other technical stuff… bla bla bla…
I recommend using their other plugin: FireStats Installer. No muss, no fuss. And no waiting for over an hour to FTP this massive archive. You’re literally done in seconds using this. It will also allow you to upgrade to newer versions in the future.
Check it out: http://firestats.cc/
One of the more difficult chores of setting up a new blog is selecting a Theme which is right for you. As you can see by the screen shot here, I haven’t quite made it that far yet.
Many of us are anxious to get posting. Who wants to spend endless hours hunting for Themes? Not me!
Unfortunately, we must make the time. If only there was a ‘Theme Blender’ that would allow you to mix certain aspects from several different Themes together.
When it comes to Themes, you have four choices:
- Free – There are some great free themes out there. Unfortunately they’re lost in a sea of crap themes that will make your eyes bleed after a couple hours of searching.
Quite often the free themes feature excessive links in the footers. I don’t mind linking to the authors homepage but I don’t need my blog acting as a site map to their entire web site. Fly one link and leave it at that! Otherwise, I’m not interested. NEXT!!
- Paid Theme – If you have the cash this is the way to go. There is some nice work out there and most themes are reasonably priced.
In some cases authors will allow you to remove footer links in Paid Themes.
- Hire A Professional Coder/Designer – Expensive but you’ll get exactly what you want.
- DIY (Do-It-Yourself) – Likely the most ambitious of the 4 options. It’s cheap and you’ll get exactly what you want. If you’re not satisfied, you’ll know exactly who to blame. 😉
So, in the next few days I’ll be putting on my protective eye-gear and sifting through pages upon pages of GawdAweful Free Themes. I’ll hack something into place. Eventually I’ll go the DIY route.
Since we’re just getting started here I thought I would spend the next few days talking about things I’m doing to get this place up and running.
Boring stuff, but I’ll try to ad some life to it. 🙂